Wednesday 15 July 2009

Simpsons Sky

Time spent staring at the sky is never wasted. I reckon a person is seldom more innocently - or soothingly - employed than in idly scanning the heavens. As the toad work is squatting especially heavily on me at the moment (though, as ever, it's not so much Work as the Stuff that goes with work - that's what grinds you down), I've been taking every precious opportunity to stare at the sky. With the strange weather we've been having, I've noticed an odd phenomenon: in the sunnier moments of the persistent sunshine-and-showers mix, the sky has a distinct look of The Simpsons - you know, that sky under the opening titles, with its range of small but substantial clouds, light below and darker above, against a slightly watery blue sky. It's hard to see this effect without the jingle sounding in your head (well my head anyway) - 'The Siiimpsons'... I wonder if anyone else has noticed this meteorological phenomenon. I hereby name it Simpsons Sky.

9 comments:

  1. Aha! Yes, I point out Simpsons Sky all the time, to the point of annoying even myself.

    Fools seldom differ, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad for you. In my part of the World Shostakovich's work from the Onedin line

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most like Shelley: 'The breath of the moist earth is light around its unexpanded buds'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We saw a treble rainbow recently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I get this effect with cricket bats held over the shoulder, unusually square cars and occasionally with chickens, "The Fliintstones, Meet the Flintstones ...". I believe it's quite harmless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have looked up 'Simpsons Sky' in my cloudspotting book, and it just says 'cumulus - with the possibility of becoming cumulus congestus'

    I prefer Simpsons Sky myself, although it already appears in the urban dictionary:

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=simpsons%27+sky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blow me down - so it does! And welcome Grayson - good to have you on board...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! We had Simpsons sky this morning all the way over in Wellington. It's a global phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodo - must have looked funny upside down...

    ReplyDelete