Friday 19 August 2011

Endless Summer

'The fold stands empty in the drowned field,
And crows are fatted with the murrion flock;
The nine men's morris is fill'd up with mud,
And the quaint mazes in the wanton green
For lack of tread are undistinguishable..'

Actually, today the sun is shining in London and the sky is blue. But yesterday was utterly grim - cold and grey, with rain siling down for much of the day. And yet, in the evening, as I headed homeward, staring glumly out of the train window - suddenly, somewhere around Mitcham common, there was another swift! One solitary bird, charging bravely through the gathering gloom... That's another four days added to my swift summer! Will it ever end?

3 comments:

  1. 'with rain siling down for much of the day'

    I don't neccessarily miss the rain Nige, though a little would be nice right now. But what I do miss is the word siling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fine with the curious capriciousness of our English climate. So long as the birds, bees and butterflies are about at least it's not raining in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This can't have effect in actual fact, that's exactly what I suppose.

    ReplyDelete