Saturday 25 March 2017

Nature Notes


Seeing the first butterfly of the year is always a spirit-lifting thrill - and I experienced it quite early this year - but there's also something very special about catching that flash of sky blue that is the first glimpse of a Holly Blue. In a sense, this is also the first butterfly of the year, being the first to have emerged from a pupa, the others - Brimstones, Tortoiseshells, Red Admirals, Commas, Peacocks, Painted Ladies (if you're lucky) - all being awakened hibernators. I saw my first Holly Blues of the year this sunny morning (and my first, rather late, Peacock), so my butterfly year has begun again. So much more to look forward to now...

Yesterday another natural spectacle caught my eye too as I walked down my road. Looking up, I saw a kestrel and a crow in close proximity - the familiar sight of corvid harrying raptor, I thought - but as I carried on watching, it became clear that this was something different, more like an aerial ballet than the usual snappy chase-off. Kestrel and crow were staying unusually close together, seemingly quite relaxed about it, making no more than gestures at aggression. Each was mirroring the other's movements, moving together like a pair of aerial syncrhronised swimmers and giving a strong impression of playful enjoyment. The crow seemed to be imitating the kestrel's wingtip flutters, the kestrel dropping its purposeful style to adopt a crow-like abandon. All the time, I was expecting this aerial display to break down into the usual unseemly scuffle, but it never happened, and gradually kestrel and crow flew off into the distance with every appearance of perfect harmony. Has peace broken out between these normally fierce competitors, I wonder, or was this just an outburst of vernal friskiness?



2 comments:

  1. I'm spoiled down here in the real La La Land (Spain, a few km from Gibraltar) where we don't have to wait for butterflies - they are with us year-round. Yesterday, in the same sight-line, I took in three magnificent Monarchs (Mariposa Monarca), slightly bigger than the span of my hand, 300 feet below a pair of Spanish Eagles circling in the warm air, looking for an evening meal.
    Sharing this world with the odd Brink's Mat villain practicing Cartesian dualism is, I feel, a small price to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A small price indeed, MM - sounds idyllic...

    ReplyDelete