Tuesday 19 September 2017

A Departure

I thought I'd take a break from the likes of Elizabeth Jenkins and Ivy Compton-Burnett and read something completely different - a crime novel. I'd come across something online about the American crime writer Donald E. Westlake and particularly liked the sound of his posthumously published The Comedy Is Over. I duly bought a copy, complete with garish dust jacket (which I promptly disposed of), and began to read...
 I was, of course, instantly hooked - Westlake really knows what he's doing (he's been described as 'the writer's writer's writer') and loses no time reeling the reader in.  The Comedy Is Over introduces us straight away to the character at the centre of the action - Koo Davis, a wise-cracking old-school comedian whose style and CV resemble Bob Hope's. The time is the late Seventies, and Davis is back on top after a career wobble when he found himself on the wrong side of public opinion over the Vietnam war. Now he has his own high-rating TV show - from the set of which he is suddenly, shockingly kidnapped.
 Koo's kidnappers are a bunch of sad but dangerous leftovers from the heady days of 'revolutionary' action, and they don't seem to realise that times have changed, leaving them behind - like Davis after Vietnam, but with no route to a comeback. Their inept attempt to secure the release of ten 'political prisoners' in return for Koo Davis ends in farce, and the gang become increasingly desperate, as does Koo's plight...
 Westlake draws us into Davis's ordeal by taking us into his head and by describing his situation so deftly that we're right there with him, in first one and then another California modernist 'safe house'. And he makes him likeable, despite his many human flaws - and funny, with his unstoppable flow of one-liners. Not many crime novels are as full of gags as this one. Nor, I think, are they likely to include a sex scene in which the male participant recites a passage from Pope's Essay on Man while in flagrante.
 I've got a feeling I might be reading more Westlake in future.

4 comments:

  1. Just finished the 'Essay' myself (not while.......) so that was enough to sell Westlake to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't recommend Westlake highly enough. The relentless 'Parker' books he wrote as Richard Stark have the cachet at the moment (and deserve it-- they are excellent), but the comic crime novels are often just as good and very different. (personal fave: "Drowned Hopes." He was so prolific there are, inevitably, some clinkers in the oeuvre, but if you check for a variation of 'for the fine folks at the Internal Revenue Service' on the dedication page, you can avoid them pretty easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip Jeff - I fancy I might have lots of Westlake fun ahead of me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished "Bank Shot" and "the Hot Rock." Both highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete